Friday

My Name is Jessica, and I'm an English Major

So apparently as an English major I have three options: teach, clue into the warning signs and change majors, or live paycheck to paycheck waiting tables until the day I die (tragic, yes, but us English majors are subconsciously devoted to over-exaggerated Shakespearean conclusions). You are condemned the moment you meet with an adviser and say that you want to major in English. Their generalized response: "Oh, you want to teach then?"

Oh, Hell no. Words cannot describe how limited I felt right then. It is unnerving how one assumption can immediately lead to a girl doubting her dreams. Why isn't "write a best seller" an option? People view getting published as some unreachable dream, under the same categorization as becoming a famous actress.

Little do these people know (yes, Miss. Stick-up-her-ass adviser. I am talking to you too) there are more options for us out there. To be one of us, you have to be a dreamer, believe it or not. And us dreamers do not limit ourselves to such mediocre, colorless, mainstream options that were created to hold us back!

Maybe I'll teach when I'm burnt out on writing the best sellers mentioned above. Until then, I'm sticking to what I want.

Welcome to my Blog.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...They say in stories there is always one line that hits the reader like a rock. A line that suddenly, but miraculously changes the way the reader feel and think. They become connected when they understand where that line is coming from. Or they interpret it differently in a positive way.

    This has definitely put an impact on the doubts I had before. Now I feel like I can take on the future I was afraid would never come to me! c: Wonderful blog Jess! Absolutely wonderful! <3

    ReplyDelete